COVID-19 Update (effective May 1, 2022)


What is Public Housing?

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to highrise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 HAs. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing and managing these developments.

In Carlton County, public housing is available at two sites – one in the City of Cloquet and one in the City of Carlton.

Who is Eligible?

Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. The housing authority determines your eligibility based on:

  1. annual gross income;
  2. whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and
  3. U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.

If you are eligible, the housing authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. The housing authority will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project’s environment.

The Cloquet and Carlton Housing Authority’s use income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% of the median income for the County.

2022 Income Limits (subject to change by HUD)

1 Person 2 Person 3 Person
Extremely Low Income $17,950 $20,500 $23,050
Very Low Income $29,900 $34,150 $38,400

How do I apply?

Please select ONE of the following options:

  • Download and print a Preapplication; or

  • Call 218-879-3353 ext. 10 to leave your name and full address. Note that you are requesting a public housing application An application will be mailed to you; or

  • Email your name and full address to: An application will be mailed to you; or

  • Stop by the Cloquet and Carlton Housing Authority Business office located at 950 14th Street Suite 126, Cloquet, MN to pick up an application.

  • Applications are also available in the front entry of Aspen Arms and Woodland Pines.

When You Receive Your Application

  1. Answer all questions completely and accurately on the application and attached forms. Follow the instruction on the Public Housing cover letter.
  2. Have all household members age 18 and older sign and date the application. All household members must have a Section 214 Status Declaration completed, along with providing a copy of his/her social security card.
  3. The Criminal Background form must be signed and notarized.
  4.  Mail or bring the forms to: Cloquet Housing & Redevelopment Authority – 950 14th St. – Suite 126 – Cloquet, MN 55720
  5. Incomplete or unsigned forms cannot be placed on the waiting list and will be returned.

While You Wait

  1. Your name will be entered onto the Public Housing waiting list.
  2. You will receive a letter confirming that your application has been processed. Waiting time is determined by: the date and time of the application and the bedroom size required for the household. The HRA does not have any emergency housing.
  3. You must report any changes of address, phone number and or household size to the Cloquet and Carlton Housing Authority at (218) 879-3353 ext. 10.
  4. You can check your status on the waiting list after you have received the letter informing you of waiting list placement. To do this you must call: (218) 879-3353 ext 10.
  5. The HRA will contact you annually regarding your continued interest in the public housing program. You must respond to this notice or your name will be removed from the waiting list.
  6. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the Housing Authority will contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, the Housing Authority must say why and, if you wish, you can request an informal hearing.
  • All applicants for the Public Housing Program must complete a thorough screening process that includes criminal and housing history background checks.

Will I need to produce any documentation?

Yes, the Housing Authority will request whatever documentation is needed (e.g. social security, etc.) to verify the information given on your application. The PHA will also rely on direct verification from your employer, etc. You will be asked to sign a form to authorize release of pertinent information to the PHA.

Waiting list preference points?

Giving preference to specific groups of families enables a Housing Authority to direct their limited housing resources to the families with the greatest housing needs. Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to the local Housing Authority, long waiting periods are common.

Preference points allow applicants to move up the waiting list faster. We provide additional preference points for the residents of Carlton County, Veterans, victims of domestic violence under the Violence Against Women Act, floods/fire significance, senior/near senior/ person with physical and/or mental disability. To receive the points, applicants must verify their address, provide a DD214 form if they are a Veteran, and work with Family Pathways if they are a victim (male or female) of domestic violence.

The Cloquet/Carlton Housing Authority provides the following preference points:

Preference Points
Carlton County Resident 75
Veteran 25
Flood/Fire Significance 10
Senior/near senior/ person with physical and/or mental disability 5

Will I have to sign a lease?

If you are offered an apartment and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the Housing Authority. A security deposit of $200 or one month’s rent is required – a payment agreement may be available.  You and the Housing Authority staff will go over the lease together. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the Housing Authority’s responsibilities as a landlord.

How is rent determined?

Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, will be based on your families anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow Housing Authorities to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities.

Based on your application, the Housing Authority will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.

The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

(1) 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);

(2) a $50 minimum rent

How long can I stay in public housing?

You may reside in public housing as long as you are compliant with the lease.